View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Say hello to the FRS. 

http://www.frs-scion.com/images/

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 am
Chapter Peep

Raven, six-speed manual, please. With an extra order of Greddy exhaust.

I've been waiting almost 25 years for a hachi-roku. Getting a lot closer now, though there's still about six or seven months to go.

:woohoo

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:02 am
Chapter Peep

Hot Lava for one, please

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:08 am
Formerlly simesxb2

Looks like they didn't line up the door to the fender or vise versa... just sayin

Nice looking car though.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Chapter Peep

That's to make it look like a BMW, Dan... :bang

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:19 pm
Site Admin

Hot Lava for me! Anything about pricing leak out yet?

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:36 pm
Formerlly simesxb2

RammsteinNicCage wrote:
Hot Lava for me! Anything about pricing leak out yet?

Will be interesting to find out.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
President

what iv'e heard so far is somewhere in the mid 20k range

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIVWz1Kl ... r_embedded

http://www.fr-sforum.com/forums/fr-s-ge ... m=facebook
Credit goes to my Buddy Marc for posting this on FB. If this is true it will be mine. All the more reason to hold out abit before buying one.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:24 pm
Site Admin

5% chance it happens. Look at the tC SC. It BOMBED.

I cant figure out a reason why they dont slap a turbo on it... ITS WHAT SUBARU DOES!

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:21 pm

If it does happen it won't be one of those shitty Vortech centrifugal units with a stupid long shaft, it'll be an Eaton roots type blower sittin right where that intake manifold would go. And those units have been around for quite some time, and are very reliable. Turbo would be nice but the engine bay is pretty cluttered, and with the engine sitting so low and back I doubt there's any room. Tons of room on top.

It would look something like this. :thumbup

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:36 pm
Site Admin

if its like any other subaru motor, it will sit behind the engine, underneath the IC. I would rather a TC just because they are so much easier to tune and play with.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:07 pm

From what I've been hearing tue supercharger is a definite go ad an add on from TRD. On the boards they're saying that Subaru is going to go turbo, which will help differentiate the two models. Probably won't hear anything till next autoshow season if that's true, but I don't see why not. That Gt300 BRZ looks to be turbo, so I'm sure the production model will be.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm
Site Admin

Car is getting too expensive

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:08 pm
Chapter Peep

I'm smiling at the Toyota engine designation: 4U-GSE.
"Wait, what?! 4U?!" The previous engine in that series was the 2U-B, which was an 790cc boxer twin engine in the Toyota Sports 800 back in the 1960's. The Sports 800 was a light car with a front-mounted boxer and rear wheel drive; 45 HP, 1300 pounds.

G: performance-oriented wide-angle valves
SE: D4-S direct injection system

So this is sort of an "homage" designation in a number of ways:
- U engine series, to honor the Toyota Sports 800
- 4, to correspond to the 4A-GE engine of the AE86

The Subaru designation of the engine is "FA20".

I also saw this video over on ft86club of a Toyota 86 with a giant wing, upgraded exhaust, gauge cluster, and 1-piece racing seat from Toyota Boshoku: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNF9GcZfueE#t=2m25s

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:58 pm

^ Love that version. Looks so badass, and that tone is just awesome.

YourFearlessLeader wrote:
Car is getting too expensive

Agreed. I really hope they do right and price this down low... hopefully $22,500. If it's expensive as I'm hearing, might as well get the Z or a V8 Stang or Camaro.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:09 am
Site Admin

Havent heard anything on the scion but the base brz is supposed to be around 24k. A tc or sc would be at least 3k more. 27k is a lot. 28k is a v8 stang or limited wrx

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:24 am
Chapter Peep

Yeah, but a Mustang or a WRX isn't the same; it doesn't have the weight distribution and balance for having fun through the curves.

I'm already planning to add a Defi gauge kit to match what I have in my tC (oil press, oil temp, intake manifold pressure, OBDII reader via ScanGauge or PLX Devices). I'll have to wait to see what the numbers are on the supercharger, and how they affect autocross. The engine's 197 / 151 now; if it goes up to 245 / 190, that's pretty good at first glance.

At stock power, the reviewers are having fun oversteering in the curves. This line from this review caught my eye: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car ... eview.html

Quote:
While the power delivery is flat, this little car flies. Turn into the first corner and you understand what it's all about. The nose comes round eagerly, with little body roll thanks to a low centre of gravity and once through a slight hesitancy the GT 86 is beautifully balanced and neutral, either drifting with all four wheels, or waiting for you to push the tail out with a judicious prod of the right foot. With the brilliantly communicative steering, you instinctively know what the wheels are doing and how much grip you have to play with.

I'm seeing this theme repeating in numerous reviews: not a lot of power, but once you put it through a turn, it has a very neutral balance and seems to telegraph the traction state of the wheels. This is what I'm looking for, in comparison to the tC's heft through autocross curves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GSXmi9I-DE

Additional ToyotaGlobal promo video: "Full Throttle" (3 minutes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pCXsFDlvns
Includes a promo video with "ringtones" of the engine starting and revving: http://www.toyota-global.com/tokyoms201 ... ar_86.html

I love that engine sound. I'm an equal-length header kind of guy. I'm thinking back to the Fuji Speedway test video, since the engine was under load and sounded even better.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:18 am
Site Admin

I am sure the car will be great through the turns and feel very balanced.

But thats what makes the others cars fun! A Mustang breaking the rear tires loose through a turn or a WRX hitting boost just out of a turn.... puts a huge smile on my face every time lol

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Boss 302 can wipe the floor against an M3. So a GT with a good aftermarket suspension setup will be a real weapon for alot less $$$. Again, just hope this thing is priced around $22-23k. Say the blower is $4,500, add another grand for a suspension and some sticky tires and this thing will be one deadly weapon for a decent price. Don't really see how they'll sell much if you can get a WRX, 370Z, or something else if it's priced closer to $30k. Hopefully Scion will do the right thing, but we all know Toyota has screwed up pretty big in the past. Hopefully they'll give us some sort of price point in Detroit.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next