View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Say hello to the FRS. 
Formerlly simesxb2

Glad to hear the first impressions are good! If they bring an event close to here I'll go check it out.

Wed May 09, 2012 7:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Chapter Peep

If all goes to plan, I take delivery of my FR-S on Friday. Only one more work day to go...

Wed May 30, 2012 10:44 pm
President

arbnpx wrote:
If all goes to plan, I take delivery of my FR-S on Friday. Only one more work day to go...

:clap :thumbup

Thu May 31, 2012 5:48 am
Formerlly simesxb2

arbnpx wrote:

Awesome!! You know we will be expecting pics on Saturday morning. :D

Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 am
Profile YIM WWW

Did you take today off so you can run around in your new car? :rubber

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:27 am
Chapter Peep

Oh yeah, I took today off. And next week off, as well.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:21 am
Site Admin

looks good in black!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:16 am
Chapter Peep

so what are your first impressions so far of it?

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:26 pm
Site Admin

nice!!!! we got to beatthe snot out of the FRS today at the drive event here...it was pretty cool! nice ride! congrats bryan!!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Congrats on the FR-S :D

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:37 pm
Formerlly simesxb2

Nice new addiction! :thumbup :thumbup :clap

Definitely looks good in black!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Congrats on the new whip!

It is one hell of a car. Did the test drive and I loved the handling. Cars had TRD springs, TRD axleback, and Yokohama tires. Was even impressed with the automatic, tho not my choice. Car is extremely predictable and very communicative. Predictable under and oversteer. Don't know if I can truely bring myself to buying this car, but I'm very close. Gonna see what the RS brings.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:21 pm
Chapter Peep

dexter_5000 wrote:
so what are your first impressions so far of it?

It's... beautiful. In some aspects, it's making some of the tC's shortcomings a bit glaring, though the tC's suspension is pretty strong, considering where it came from.

In terms of the handling, that's the biggest thing: this car feels like it should've tilted over 10 to 15 degrees in a turn, but DIDN'T. It just stays planted on the ground, and if you're approaching a limit, you can feel it in the steering. The steering is very communicative, especially considering that it's electric power steering (though it's column-boosted electric power steering; that's supposed to give a lot more tactile feedback than rack-boosted). You can definitely feel the low center of gravity in effect; it feels like a go-kart glued to the road.

The manual transmission is absolutely beautiful. The clutch pedal is very light to throw (it's making the tC's pedal feel excessively heavy; it makes any other car's clutch pedal feel heavy, including a 2nd-gen WRX that I got to try out from a new friend who was interested in the BRZ, but got the WRX instead). The shift lever is light to throw, but very notchy, letting you know whether you're engaged in the gear. I found that I was shifting about twice as fast in the FR-S as I would've in the tC.

The engine sound is something that I really love. It's not an inline-four sound, but more refined, less buzzy, and in stereo (since the two banks alternate firing order). I didn't get a chance to really rev the engine until today, when I made it past 1000 miles (yes, I've been driving a ton of back roads since I picked it up on Friday afternoon). It's nice below 4000 RPM, and even has a torque spike that keeps things quick, but from 4000 to 7000 is where this engine feels absolutely insane. In that range, the engine note comes out pretty loud through the resonator tube, and it's a very satisfying sound for a 4-cylinder nerd.

The instrument cluster is very nice; the central-mounted tachometer with adjustable shift light is perfect for setting up stop-light takeoff runs. The digital speed readout can be switched to km/h, which I did a few times, for the nerd factor. There's an MPG indicator as well (I'm averaging about 27 to 30 MPG, with a freak reading of 36 for one tankful; that was after a lot of highway cruising with a light throttle touch, so I'll have to try and reproduce that).

Overall, a beautiful car. I've had a bunch of drivers asking about it, if it's rear-wheel-drive, if it's the new Subaru-Scion car, etc. Overall, very positive impressions; they love this new, interesting, curvy sporty small car.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 am
Formerlly simesxb2

Very nice review! I'm definitely going to have to go check one out. :) Enjoy your new ride! :clap

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

nice write up! glad youre enjoying the new ride & are satisfied!!!

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 pm
Chapter Peep

yeah when i did see a window sticker at the dealership it was rated quite well for mileage on highway. i've read others opinions that the tc is a better deal. other thing they had stated was subaru's recent short comings with piston ring land issues and bearing failures.

sounds like your enjoying it overall. so it wasn't yours at ballistic already then either? i'll have to drop you in my rx-7 sometime when its ready. still breaking it in and need to replace another old coolant line. it sounds kind of on par with it.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:29 am
Site Admin

fwiw the bearing and ringland issues were from a mechanical defect in the 09 ej255 and ej257 motor only. Pretty much every other subaru motor that has routine maintenance and isnt abused lasts 200k miles.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:26 pm
Chapter Peep

I was able to confirm a 35 - 36 MPG mileage on the Interstate when cruising in 6th gear (tried it on I-495 and Route 3 / Everett Turnpike). Very nice feature; the D-4S system probably helps on the fuel economy there.

I was at Ballistic on Friday; Scott took a couple of pictures while I was there. My wheels are almost in; have to wait a couple of weeks. Not much of a problem, since I need some time to coordinate ordering and mounting the tires.

I'm real eager to see the RX-7 running, though I'll probably be very gentle with it. The Stevens' RX-7 was smoking a bit today at autocross, but running nicely. I ran the FR-S in autocross, and learned how to play around with oversteer. I'm pretty good at catching the rotation before it gets out of hand; I did slide 90 degrees in one turn, but by that time, I was backing off of the throttle and saying to myself, "Nope, nope; too much throttle; try again" instead of spinning out wildly. That's a very good thing; it shows how easy and gradual the FR-S is, and how it doesn't "snap" like other cars, but it also means that I'm starting to instinctively pick up what to do when there's too much oversteer. After a few runs, I was learning how to pour on a little bit of oversteer to carry through some turns. I got a lot of compliments today from the other drivers; they really love this car. There was even a Porsche 911 on the highway on the way home, whose owner was giving me a thumbs up and a huge smile.

So here's a nice picture from autocross that says a lot:

That's right; THREE happily oversteering Toyotas in the autocross lineup! (and no spinouts from any of them, as far as I know) This is like the evolution (slightly out of order) of the short-track Toyota fun car. It also make the name far more logical: MR2, MR-S, FR-S.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:00 pm
Chapter Peep

FRS looks great! I just saw a white one in Manhattan. I saw the Subaru version in front of my house last week. Really nice looking car.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:07 am
Chapter Peep

what class where you in? i know mr2 platform is known for very snappy over steer so much that it can come on very fast.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next