View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 2011 xD axle shaft replacement 

Hi there,
I've got a question on the 2011 xD. I haven't noticed that a boot got damaged, so I kept driving until noticed weird sound from the suspension... When I looked underneath, I realized that just the boot repair kit won't do it anymore, as the CV joint was damaged with particles that got there through the crack. So I realize that I need the new axle shaft. But do I need any seals, extra hardware and stuff to get it replaced? Also, I guess no alignment stuff is required either, right? As I am planning to do the job by myself, so want to make sure I get everything before I disassemble the vehicle.
Thanks in advance!

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:09 am
Formerlly simesxb2

In my opinion while you have it apart you may as well put in new seals. Also check your ball joints for wear for the same reason, you have it apart so anything you can change that is worn is more you won't have to do later. Depending on how much you replace and how far you tear it down you may have to have an alignment after your done.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:59 am
Profile YIM WWW

Thanks for replying, man. You're right, will grab seals also, as long as the new axle and stuff (https://www.carid.com/axle-shaft-seals/). It makes sense, as it's always better to do everything at once. I guess I will do the install job, and then will take it to the shop to do the alignment. I googled the alignment question yesterday, and it looks like that in my case the shims are not required.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]