View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 10:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Scion tC wheel bearing 

Before I begin, sorry for being away for a little while. Forst off , I have wheel bearing problems. I also think that it might become a recurring problem. I had the front driver side replaced less than a year ago, and now the front passenger side is going. I would like to know what it costs elsewhere to replace a bearing. I have been to Big O Tires and they quoted me about 350. Scion of the Desert near myself would charge around 400. I have to know what the heck happened to make it this expensive. When I went to get my first bearing replaced it cost around 150 with the bearing cost around 50, and the charge of 100 for labor.

From what i've gathered it doesnt take much to get to the bearing itself. Its putting it back in properly and maybe doing a proper balancing. I saw it would take around 3 hours to do all of this currently. So what do other dealerships charge for this? Have any of you had a bearing replaced and felt overcharged?

Sat May 21, 2011 5:20 pm
Formerlly simesxb2

I'm not familiar with the tC, but if it is like most front drives you can most likely replace it yourself and just have the cost of the bearing and some of your time.

You might want to have a mechanic or alignment shop look into what is causing them to go out in such a short time though. Any reputable shop with ASE certified mechanics should be able to work on your tC and should be less expensive than the dealer.

Mon May 23, 2011 5:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

Just a quick update on this topic to close it out for myself at least. I got the front passenger wheel bearing replaced and there wasnt anything wrong with it. It appears that my rotor was warping a bit. It did cause some burning on the bearing because there were 2 separate light burn lines on the outside of the bearing.

For the labor portion Toyota and just about eveyrone else has it in their system where it calls for 3 hours of labor. Yes, very expensive. I found a spot right down the street from my place that did it for 180 because I told them Big O tires would take about 2 hours. I also luckily found a replacement bearing on PartsGeek.com. Shipping was fairly quick, and the part was a Beck-Arnley which is suppose to be better than an OEM part. That part only cost about 45.

So after going about spending all that money on putting a new wheel bearing in all I did was go to Bog O tires and having them resurface my rotor. Which they did for free because I had a balance and rotation due.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:58 pm

sorry for all your trouble but at least the tC is back to good operating condition

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:50 pm

If your problem is about the wheel bearing, I suggest you get new wheel bearing form this list of scion accessories and let your vehicle be fixed by AutoMD.

Last edited by dannyhut on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:35 am

^^^Spam anyone? :roll:

http://www.wellesleyscion.com

DT9 Designs

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:40 pm
Profile WWW

I love spam!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]