View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Fearless' FRS build thread... updated 7/31 (and review) 
Site Admin

well after 17 months with a Subaru WRX, my love affair with scion has returned. After lots of debate (mostly internal), i decided to pull the trigger on an FR-S. I got an awesome trade in on the WRX (upstate NY dealerships love AWD cars), and believe it or not the FR-S is cheaper insurance than a WRX or a tC. The dealership was 109 miles away from me, so tomorrow I pull post first driving impressions, but for right now just some pictures.

its nice to be back :D

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Yay! Another Scion in the family. Another member has returned to Scion :woohoo What color scioNRG decals are you going with?

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 pm
President

very nice :thumbup

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:06 am

Sick FRS man, also a plus that you got the original Empire State plates :thumbup

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:14 pm
Site Admin

:clap :clap :clap

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:00 am
Chapter Peep

congratulations

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:20 pm
Site Admin

So I'd like to post up my initial driving review. Its only been 350 miles of seat time, which includes about 150 city miles and 200 highway miles. I am not a professional driver and certainly not a professional writer so try to bare with me here.

Lets start with the outside of the car

Absolutely beautiful. There is NOTHING on the road that looks similar to this in the united states. It has exotic lines and mean looking headlights. Everything flows exactly how it should. The only gripe i have about the exterior is that the rear diffuser looks, well, cheap? Trust me, not a big issue at all its just that the rest of the car looks like a million dollars. I am also not a fan of the 86 tribute emblem on the fenders, but these are really stupid little things.

Interior.
Spartan, but has everything a 25k car should have exactly where it needs to be. The controls (hvac, climate, vents) are made of thick cheap plastic and the faux carbon fiber on the dash couldnt look any sillier. BUT the ergonomics of everything is right. All the dials are within reach and very easy to read. Factory headunit is surprisingly good, has bluetooth, ipod, aux, and RCA outputs. 180W from the factory sounds loud in such a small cabin. The seats are extremely supportive and firm. I weigh 180lbs and am 5'9" and I am not sure how anyone bigger than me would be comfortable. I do not sit all the way back, maybe 4-5 inches from the rear seat. I am able to reach the extremely light clutch pedal no problem. Headroom is OK, and havent smacked the ceiling yet. The red highlights on the seat are OK, but may clash with any interior/exterior color themes. The seats have a latch on top for shorter people who need the seatbelt to come across the chest lower. Overall, a very basic interior with good ergonomics but definitely using cheaper materials.

Transmission/Motor.
This is the smoothest, most accurate transmission I have ever driven. Coming from a truck transmission (subaru wrx), this tranny is a dream. It is extremely light and the throw is short from the factory. My only gripe is that 40MPH is 5th gear. To get this car moving and to keep it moving will require a lot of shifting. Luckily 90 year olds will be able to push this clutch pedal down all day since its so light. Motor has adequate power and the best way I can describe how fast this car is, is swift and agile. It is not going to overload the chassis with power but i would say it could handle more. It has a nice sound to it especially for a 4 cylinder with no exhaust modification. Could definitely use another 20-30 HP.

Suspension
Go-Kart. Point and go. I havent pushed the car to its limit yet, but body roll is balanced without the ride being too rough. Surprisingly its a much smoother ride than a stock WRX or TRD spring'd 2G xB. It handles bumps and uneven pavement very well. It is really livable for a DD.

Tires.
Fine. Nothing good or bad to say about them yet. Road noise isnt great. Not sure if i chalk it up to the tires or the lack of sound deadening materials.

What really makes this car a blast to drive, is the silky smooth and accurate tranny along with the suspension. It really is go-kart like, but still retains daily livability.

Now, for some more pics.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:33 pm
Site Admin

Sexiness.

Those lights on the front bumper, just below the fenders seem a little odd though... just kind of breaks it up on the side view.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:37 pm
Formerlly simesxb2

Sweet! Nice ride and welcome back to the fold! :clap

The FR-S has me looking at Scion again. Just not sure how it would work with animal rescues. :)

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:57 am
Profile YIM WWW

Dan, the rear seats fold down and then the rear storage area can accommodate 4 tires. Or at least that's what I have heard. I would think that would be enough space, but I don't do animal rescue.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 am
Formerlly simesxb2

xraytC wrote:
Dan, the rear seats fold down and then the rear storage area can accommodate 4 tires. Or at least that's what I have heard. I would think that would be enough space, but I don't do animal rescue.

If I can ever get un busy, I'm going to stop in at the dealer and check one out up close and personal. :)

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:00 am
Profile YIM WWW

^ Do. Its a heck of a nice car and handles amazingly. If you're looking for power like me, don't get your hopes up tho. It doesn't have much balls.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:45 pm
Site Admin

Figures, the weather goes from 30* to 60* overnight, well either way, I am ready to tackle some snow.

$705 package from discount tire direct.

16.5" steelies on 205/60/16 General Altimax Artics

I have to say, under normal driving conditions you can really feel the flex of the sidewall.

April cant come fast enough!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:34 pm
Site Admin

Sweet!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 pm
Formerlly simesxb2

Nice winter package. curious to hear how it handles in the snow.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

I can tell you they handle like CRAP in dry conditions.

The sidewall flexs like crazy, and if I floor it, the rear end kicks out worse than it does with the stock tires. and they are LOUD over 65mph.

Clearly not a performance/grand touring tire.

However, if the snow grip is top notch it will be worth it!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 am
President

i hope you put some neversieze on the studs and center hub or they will be a bitch to get off in the spring.just a heads up

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]