View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 good car cleaning stuff?? 

my car gets dirty every other day and going to the car wash is starting to make my wallet cry. so i figured i could save money by cleaning at my house. does anyone know of any good brands of cleaning or wax etc. thank you

Thu May 26, 2011 1:43 pm

I like the Turtle Wax Ice for exterior wash and interior detail; Meguires Tech Wax 2.0 for waxing. I haven't found a tire shine yet that doesn't sling and/or brown the tires. As my car is white, I use Mother's clay bar 2-4 times per year.
p.s. - I can't believe you run your new car thru the auto car wash! :o

Thu May 26, 2011 4:42 pm
President

I was in the automotive detailing industry for more years than i care to remember and found nothing better than the mirror glaze brand of meguires.it's not easy to find at your local pep boys,auto zone ect. but imo it's the best thing out there
http://meguiarsdirect.com/product_list. ... or%20glaze

Thu May 26, 2011 4:50 pm
Chapter Peep

I like the ICE soap as well, makes tons of suds and that floats the dirt off. Get a couple of real good mits.
Trixie, the local Advance had Eagle 1 suff any 3 for $10, so I tried their trim dressing. Wish I had bought 3 of them! It really makes the black plastic look good and the tires stay nice ahd shiney. Give it a shot!

Thu May 26, 2011 5:27 pm
Site Admin

Zaino.

Thu May 26, 2011 5:51 pm

I only use Mothers.

http://www.wellesleyscion.com

DT9 Designs

Thu May 26, 2011 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Formerlly simesxb2

I use Meguiars mostly, Armor All Extreme for the tires and last year at exposed I bought some Lucas Oil speed wax and I kind of like it for that quick detail.

Probably the best thing to do would be try some different ones and then decide which will work the best for you.

Thu May 26, 2011 7:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax every other week and Megui ar's Ultimate detailer for the alternate weeksand clay bar a couple times a year. I use a self serve car wash bc I can't wash it where I live, great in the winter.

Thu May 26, 2011 8:26 pm

ok thanks everyone i went out to c.a.p and got some things not so fond of the wax kinda looks shitty and i got some weird kind of cleaner. worked ok i think plain water wouldnt have been much worse than adding this stuff i think i might just stick with car washes or power washes at the car wash place

Thu May 26, 2011 8:45 pm

if you go to a car wash please only go to hand wash places please no brushes :cry:

Thu May 26, 2011 8:50 pm

uh ohhhh ive already done that a few times...shame on me ill use the hand ones from now on :bang

Thu May 26, 2011 9:00 pm

I go a little crazy with my cleaning/detailing products, here's a mostly complete list (besides the clay and polishes) :lol:

Exterior:
Clean - Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash and Optimum No Rinse
Seal - Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection
Wax - Optimum Car Wax

Interior:
Clean - Meguiars D103 All Purpose Cleaner (diluted 10:1) and 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner
Seal - 303 Aerospace Protectant

Windows: Stoner Invisible Glass

Engine Bay: Meguiars D103 All Purpose Cleaner (diluted 4:1) and P21S Total Auto Wash

Wheels:
Clean - P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner
Seal - Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant
Tires - Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Exhaust: Optimum Metal Polish

No need to go this overboard, just don't take it to a regular car wash.

Thu May 26, 2011 11:56 pm

I bought a bunch of meguiars stuff to detail. I'll report when I actually get around to doing it...lol. But I've been using Turtle Wax Platinum Ultra Gloss liquid wax for quite some time, and I really like the stuff. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll give the car 2 complete coats, but I'll always give the hood and roof an extra coat. Lasts pretty good, gives the car a really nice shine, and has a good bead.

I also always use Rain-X window cleaner after a wash as well. Cleans ups any water spots and adds that Rain-X goodness. Wheels I use to use old cheap wax to help keep em clean, but lately it's just a quick wash with a brush.

Sat May 28, 2011 1:01 am

I use Ice products and Have found that Meguire's Ultimate Liquid Wax. I love that stuff.. smells soo good and i can barely smell haha

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:05 pm

For years I've always trusted my babies to Meguairs' products and never been disappointed. :)

Have a question for anyone having good personal experience with a product for sap removal that has hardened. I know there are a lot of products in the Meguiar's line (and others too) that are supposed to deal with removing things like this.
It is a :curses bear :bang to get off once hardened onto the surface. If they were fresh deposits of this evil stuff then it wouldn't be that bad. But since the damn stuff is like dried super glue I need to find the right product to remove it w/o wasting $$ trying to find one that does the job right the first time. :)

Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:31 am

Goo Gone? Not sure if that's safe for paint. I usually use Bug n Tar remover with pretty good results but if it's that dried on it might not help. Maybe alil rubbing alcohol.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:28 pm
President

rubbing alcohol won't touch it.goo gone works but still takes some elbow grease.belive it or not the best thing is straight vinegar

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:51 pm

Really? I would have never guess vinegar. I'll have to try that next time.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:32 am
Chapter Peep

will the vinegar harm the wax?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:11 am

I assume it'll take your wax off and you'll have to give the spot another coat. Just as long as it doesn't harm the clear coat, that's what I'd like to know.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next